We made our first trip to Hobcow in Mount Pleasant and were "Pleasantly" surprised by the wonderful feel of the marina and the area. It was full of natural beauty and also steeped in history.
“Throughout the colonial period in South Carolina, shipbuilding was centered around the three trade centers: Charleston, Georgetown and Beaufort. Charleston, alone, supported some 14 shipyards during the period from the beginning of the 18th century up until 1865. Probably the largest shipyard in all of colonial South Carolina was the one started on the south side of Hobcaw Creek in 1753 by two Scottish shipwrights, John Rose and James Stewart.” Click here to go to the website.