Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Riverfront Park, North Charleston

How exciting for me!  I found a new-to-me park today.  Riverfront Park in North Charleston is on the banks of the Cooper River on the old Navy Base.  (You have to remember that I am a transplant to the Charleston area and therefore exploring it is an adventure!)

Riverfront Park is home to the Greater Charleston Naval Base Memorial, erected in honor of the countless military personnel and civilians that served the United States and the Greater Charleston region while the Charleston Navy Base was operational. The Memorial is the only location in the United States that displays both the Lone Sailor and the Homecoming statues.
 I loved this so much that I had to do a close-up!  What emotion Stanley Bleifeld was able to get into his sculpture!
As happy as The Homecoming is, The Lone Sailor is sad and lonely as he waits to board his ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment